Just the other day I introduced the concept of Fear to our University Students helping us get ready for our summer season. Part of the beauty of doing this job is getting a chance to interact with the current trends of high school and college students.
When I put the word FEAR up on the big White Board, and then asked them what they were most fearful of, it was AMAZING!!
- I'm afraid of what peope think of me
- I'm afraid of my future
- I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong
- I'm afraid I won't be reaching my potential
- I'm afraid I won't get a job
- I'm afraid I chose the wrong major
- I'm afraid my relationships aren't healthy
- I'm afraid I won't measure up to other people around
- I'm afriad of my doubts about faith
- I'm afriad God isn't there
And it went on and on....
We spent the next hour or so just working out what it means to be afraid. We worked on reasons why we fear things, we talked about our cultural addiction to fear, and finally we had a chance to develop tools to help when we feel the anxiety of fear begin to take over.
I'm so blessed to have a chance to speak into the lives of these incredible students. I'm thankful for the ability to just have honest conversations about what's really going on in life. They've made it a wonderful beginning of a summer season here at KIVU.
But in the meantime...I think it worthy for us to continue the conversation here on the blog. What are the things you're most fearful of? I'd love to begin to share those places we fear, so that we can be a people willing to pray for one another.